Resources – Online Communities
These community sites are great places to gain perspectives and advice from other transgender people and their significant others. They are listed by level of traffic.
- Susan’s Place. Very comprehensive community site: news headlines, chat room, online forums, resource links, articles. My only complaint: its erotic logo perpetuates a stereotype and belies its serious content. It may alienate some potential users. From what I can tell, it is by far the largest forum: over 1.5 million posts on over 145,000 topics by almost 20,000 members.
- Laura’s Playground. Like Susan’s Place, its visual branding does a poor job of conveying its serious content. Something for everyone, including significant others. Over 19,000 members and 600,000 posts.
- The Transgender Boards. Classic discussion board with 8,000 members, over 250,000 posts and 15,000 topics.
- The Gender Society. Forum includes 70,000 posts on 9,000 topics.
- TG Forum. Its strength seems to lie in its blogs. Appears to have a much smaller number of posts and topics than the others.